 Administrative / NNTP / 88
  Broken mailers which mess up threading

This broken thread garbage has got to stop. Example: (2 URLs) countless other examples in the .loc.au group.) The question is, how do I detect this broken mailer that Ben's using? It reports itself as: X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2448.0) (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) how about, instead of rejecting such messages, make a "soft" threading feature... and activate it only for mailers you know are broken (lke that Internet Mail Service, Eudora, etc)... Just write a little proggie that will attempt to guess what (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) I'd say that's perfectly in line with with RFC 850, Section 2.2.6. It clearly says that a References: headers is "required for all follow-up articles" and that the first four characters of the Subject: header should be changed to "Re: " if (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) Except cases where you do the "(was: ...)" thing, right? --Todd (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) It sounds like if the References: header is used to trace threads, then the Subject: header should begin with "Re: ". I suppose the original intent was that new threads would be started if the Subject: was changed (but that's pure conjecture (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) the problem is, we're dealing with mailers that are just not RFC compliant. Which is why they don't have the references: header in the first place... and we're trying to cludge something around their shortcomings, just so the pretty threading (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) that's one place where we have a choice to make... does re-subjecting make a new thread, or is it still a child of the current thread? most of the time, by the time someone re-subjected a post, it's 3-4 posts AFTER the subject has been (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) I really don't think it's worth the time to work around it -- only to weed out non-compliant mailers in a consistent and reliable way. If someone is using a broken newsreader or mailer that doesn't put in the right headers, tough cookies for (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) This Larry? Can you post the URL, I will take a look at it and tell you what the circs were. I make it a practice not to reply via email EVER but always use the web (or very rarely, NNTP via NS comm 4.7 from my home PC) to reply. (...) I don't (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) Ya, that Larry! :-) Lemme see if I can conjur it up again. OK, here it is: (2 URLs) [...] (...) According to the NNTP headers, ya, it was posted via email. --Todd (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) message (...) 1. Examine the message itself. Notice the headers even in the non raw view... This was a "courtesy copy" mailed to me as well as posted. Ironically enough, by guess who. I disclaim responsibility for this. Now and forevermore. I (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) BTW, leave the bouncer turned on if you would! I think it is a great idea. That way when I get a bounce I can well and truly roast the originator via email reply for wasting my time instead of missing any opportunity because I didn't realise (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) Actually, there never was any other way to view raw messages via HTTP than by clicking the "View Raw Message" link, which goes to the raw.cgi script. (...) raw.cgi sends a MIME content-type of 'text/plain', so you should never see anything (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading

(...) Indeed. NT or IE or the combination thereof is broken in this regard, surprise surprise. IE doesn't directly deal with mime types, it foists the job off on NT (per: (URL) you will need to unwrap this to read it) Instead it is left to the OS (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)