 Administrative / NNTP / 92
Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 05:26:27 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

This broken thread garbage has got to stop.  Example:

Another solution might be to reject messages whose subjects begin with

   /^[Rr][Ee]:/

and have no 'References:' headers -- and not check the 'X-Mailer' header.
Unfortunately, while that would probably work, it wouldn't be long before
someone figured out that they could just delete the 'Re:' part to sneak
around it -- which would be even worse than the bug all by itself.

I'd say that's perfectly in line with with RFC 850, Section 2.2.6.
It clearly says that a References: headers is "required for all
follow-up articles" and that the first four characters of the
Subject: header should be changed to "Re: " if they aren't set
already.  Any other behavior just doesn't follow the RFC, so tough
noogies to those who aren't compliant.  :)

Chris