 Administrative / NNTP / 105
Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:46:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
raw.cgi sends a MIME content-type of 'text/plain', so you should never see
anything funky there.  ldraw.cgi sends a MIME content type of 'application/
x-ldraw' so if you see anything strange there when you click, I would guess
that your MIME associations aren't set up the right way at your client.

Indeed. NT or IE or the combination thereof is broken in this regard, surprise
surprise. IE doesn't directly deal with mime types, it foists the job off on
NT  (per: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q170/8/02.ASP?LN=EN-
US&SD=gn&FR=0  you will need to unwrap this to read it)

Instead it is left to the OS and there can only be one type of mime type per
file extension near as I can tell... hence I can associate .cgi with either
MLCad or with some other program (such as notepad in order to browse raw.cgi)
but not both, apparently. Further, you have to scroll through the list of
associations in random (name of the associated program) order rather than
being able to view it by type or by file extension. Bog.

Sigh.

I'd switch back to NS if it didn't crash so much. Whenever I use NS I
eventually get annoyed enough to switch to IE and vice versa. However NS does
this better than NT...

Why I previously got correct behaviour was that I was on NS, I forgot.

Am I the only person who runs into this? Can't be. Just must not annoy others
as much. But I'm easily annoyed lately.

++Lar