 Administrative / NNTP / 100
Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
This broken thread garbage has got to stop.  Example:

  http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=22916
  http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.general:22916

(And countless other examples in the .loc.au group.)

The question is, how do I detect this broken mailer that Ben's using?
It reports itself as:

which I was hoping would be a unique identifier to it, but I found a message
that Larry posted which contained:

This Larry? Can you post the URL, I will take a look at it and tell you what
the circs were. I make it a practice not to reply via email EVER but always
use the web (or very rarely, NNTP via NS comm 4.7 from my home PC) to reply.

(different version or build numbers -- whatever they are).  OTOH, that message
is *also* thread-broken.  He must've posted it from some broken mail-relay
station?

I don't use "public" email, not really... just my voyager account, and my
mercator account, both accessed by special connection. I get hardly any mail
at yahoo.

Now, if someone (despite my many rants) sent me a "courtesy copy" of something
via email and I didn't realise it and replied, thinking that I was replying to
them... that might be about the only circumstances where I would post by mail.
Feel free to tar and feather them for me.

If that happened it either happened from within my own Outlook (Outlook 2000
build 9.0.0.27) running on an NT4 SP6 machine, or it happened from the web
browsable version of Outlook/Exchange that my company runs (this lets you view
your exchange server folders over the web and lets you process mail in places
where you cannot normally do standard Outlook client synch, that is, places
where HTTP traffic is the only way out from behind a firewall or through a
proxy... when that happens it is usually on some client machine that I happen
to be using, and the machine type is all over the map... NT 3.5, NT4, 95, 98,
2000pro 2000 server, some Unix based browser, etc... but always browsing the
same exchange web mail gateway)

I'll repeat. I detest courtesy calls by telemarketers and I detest courtesy
copies of posts. (both are discourteous) I read every group eventually, I
search for my name, and if you reply to a post of mine, *wait*. I'll get to
you. (or what you said wasn't important enough for me to respond, or I'm
deliberately ignoring you because you're clueless) If it's urgent feel free to
send me a URL and I'll take a look when I can. But no courtesy copies please.

There, I feel better.

++Lar