 Administrative / NNTP / 95
Re: Broken mailers which mess up threading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:32:03 GMT

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 05:26:27AM +0000, Christopher Lindsey wrote:
I'd say that's perfectly in line with with RFC 850, Section 2.2.6.
It clearly says that a References: headers is "required for all
follow-up articles" and that the first four characters of the
Subject: header should be changed to "Re: " if they aren't set
already.  Any other behavior just doesn't follow the RFC, so tough
noogies to those who aren't compliant.  :)

the problem is, we're dealing with mailers that are just not RFC compliant.
Which is why they don't have the references: header in the first place...
and we're trying to cludge something around their shortcomings, just so
the pretty threading (which is a Very Good Thing (tm)) would still work...

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:8235_1>:  Front End Loader / FL8 Front Loader (LEGO/TECHNIC/Tech Play/Starter), '95, 165 pcs, 1 figs