 Administrative / NNTP / 88
87  |  89
Subject:
Broken mailers which mess up threading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:24:39 GMT

This broken thread garbage has got to stop.  Example:

   http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=22916
   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.general:22916

(And countless other examples in the .loc.au group.)

The question is, how do I detect this broken mailer that Ben's using?
It reports itself as:

which I was hoping would be a unique identifier to it, but I found a message
that Larry posted which contained:

(different version or build numbers -- whatever they are).  OTOH, that message
is *also* thread-broken.  He must've posted it from some broken mail-relay
station?

One solution (the goal being of course to reject broken messages from this
mailer) would be to look at the above header -- if that's safe enough.

Hmm, grepping quickly in .general, I also see:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.general:2437
   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.general:2461
   [etc.]

with:

and this:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.general:20718

with the same version number that BenW is using.  In all cases of messages
posted by this mailer to .general (a few dozen), threading was broken.

Another solution might be to reject messages whose subjects begin with

and have no 'References:' headers -- and not check the 'X-Mailer' header.
Unfortunately, while that would probably work, it wouldn't be long before
someone figured out that they could just delete the 'Re:' part to sneak
around it -- which would be even worse than the bug all by itself.

Thoughts?

--Todd