 Administrative / General / 8562
8561  |  8563
Subject:
Debate's current problem (was Re: Uselessness of .debate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:14:42 GMT

Frank Filz wrote in message <3A3F972C.2F1C@mindspring.com>...

What I really want for myself is to see .debate return to something
where it felt like debates didn't get stuck in absolutely intractable
shouting matches. One problem of course is that any topic worth debating
has no easy solutions, so therefore, there is no end to the debate. When
debating in person, at some point the participants need to go home, or
go to bed, or whatever. This effectively ends that debate, though it may
get resumed at some point later, in which case it at least forces a
cooling off period. An online debate has no structure to bring it to
termination (which does suggest that some kind of "max posts per thread"
rule could possibly do something).

Having followed a great many debates here, on Usenet and in my workplace
SPAM forum[1], I have watched some of the greats[2] at work such as the
legendary Derek Smart, and our own Larry and Scott and even myself (I got
the workplace 1997 SPAM award and an honourable mention on a number of
occasions!).
One problem I have noticed seems to bog down online message-driven debates
more than anything. Describing it as a shouting match doesn't quite do it
justice, because I've seen very concise, short threads which were undeniable
shouting matches. This problem is different.

For want of a better term, I shall call the phenomenon POINT-SCORING.
Point-scoring is when a debater feels that they must maximise their "score"
in the debate by attempting to identify as many (even slightly!) different
"assertions" by the opponent and then to proceed to give _each_and_every_
single one a rebuttal.

This is a mistake!!!

Message-driven forum debates are not like face-to-face
discussions/arguments; they require constant re-summarisation and careful
reply-snipping, or else you get exactly what we've been getting in .debate -
a quagmire of redundant/irrelevant assertions, rebuttals, counter-rebuttals
and counter-counter-rebuttals ad nauseam i.e. NOISE.  Point-scoring, in
short, generates noise - potentially a great deal of it.

The counter-strategy for point-scoring is simple: don't do it!!!

If you point-score, all you are doing is providing ammo for the
point-scoring opponent. It follows that even if only you refrain, you are
still eliminating a great deal of potential noise. Make an effort to:

1) Keep the range of issues discussed narrow and within the topic;
2) Summarise your standpoint at least every two threads, with a slant on the
latest reply if possible;
3) Don't be afraid to trim the opponent's post of statements, just do it in
a way that is obviously unbiased;
4) DON'T respond to statements which are childish, rude or obviously
clueless! Not at all! Not even an "I'm sorry you feel that way" or some such
rubbish! Trim them completely! I cannot stress this one enough.

Another thing which is a factor in my own participation on Lugnet: I
thrive on critical discussion. It can be on almost any topic, but I need
some in my life.

Me too - and that is exactly what that .debate is for; morevover, I feel
that it's therefore a _very_ important thing for many people. I could go to
a Usenet group and attempt to blow off steam or iron out my prejudices in
exactly the same way, but frankly if you think .debate has gone downhill,
it's still light-years ahead of almost every Usenet discussion in terms of
civility and noise.

Well, I don't know if that helps any, but that's some of where I'm
coming from.

I feel that the quality of debating in .debate has always been a bit sloppy,
but has recently become even more sloppy due to point-scoring noise. Let's
get .debate back on track by pulling our collective socks up.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

[1] We have a mailing list called SPAM at work for debating/joking and
letting off steam in a non-vicious way. It is highly active and its
existence is  appreciated by most employees.
[2] That's great in terms of quantity, and in some individuals, by quality
;-)