 Administrative / General / 8563
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:20:20 GMT

I know that you've been gone.  I think that's a good decision for you.  But
what I still don't get is why, given that you had the opportunity to leave
.debate alone, the existence of it is problematic for you personally.

I think this is a specific instance of a more general principle, one we've
stumbled over repeatedly on vastly different topics.

Agreed.

B needs to *show* X is infringing on B, that is, that X cannot just be
ignored, or in the second case, that X is such a bad thing that it has to be
banned apriori.

Out of curiosity, how does one show that and to whom does one make such an
appeal?

Not sure of the answers to either of those, at least not in an idealised
society.

Use the example of strategic nuclear holdings.  (And as an aside, do
you feel differently about tactical nuclear weapons?)

I think my threshold is somewhere around large tanks and fighter jets. Any
sort of nukes just sort of "feel wrong" to me. It's a fuzzy argument.

Further, they don't even get that
they are *taking* this worldview, they prattle about society taking
decisions and unconstrained majority rule being fundamentally just.

Bad!  Bad Larry!  Go sit in the corner.  Prattle is not a constructive word to
use.  It would have done your argument no harm to use 'talk' instead and then
it wouldn't be a thinly veiled insult.  (But other than that, I'm still in
agreement.)

Prattle may have been a bad choice but "talk" is not specific enough.
Meander? Babble? It was meant to be pejorative.

But the whole reason for responding to this note is to wonder if maybe Larry
has outlined one of the meta-debates.  Are there others like this?  Are there
common idea-threads that cross individual debates that can be expressed like
this?

I think there are which is one of the reasons I brought it up.

++Lar