 Administrative / General / 8528
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:41:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

The recent history of .debate is certainly that the types of shouting
matches have little chance of being productive, however, I will point
out that back some time ago, the "Libertarian" debate DID have real
productivity. It DID change someone's outlook (and being the person
who's outlook was changed, I think I can say that authoratively). That's
what I'd like to return to, the productive debate.

  Hear, hear!  Though I don't expect that I'll switch to Libertarianism or
Christianity any time soon, I have learned a good deal about those two
views.  That, for me, is the primary reason for participating in .debate
(that, and getting the chance to show everyone how correct I am).  It's
unfortunate that discussions have a tendency after a while to decay to the
point of I'm-rubber-you're-glue, but before they reach that point much can
be gleaned even by the casual observer.
  This isn't a remedy for polluted postings, of course, but it's a benefit
of .debate worth considering.

     Dave!