 Administrative / General / 8529
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:42:40 GMT

I'm not yet a member (mainly because most of my posting has been to OT
rather than LEGO-specific contributions), so perhaps I'll count as a hostile
witness when I suggest that your idea has great merit.  Many sites offer
provisional or limited access for non-members, only granting full privelege
to those who subscribe.  Why should that not be in place here?  If the
purpose of LUGNET is to allow like-minded LEGO users to share opinions, then
I can see allowing unrestricted postingaccess to LEGO-specific groups.  But
why should a non-member get any say in admin?  One might argue that
.marketplace should be restricted, since the poster is essentially getting
free advertising.

Actually, those two are great ideas, IMHO.  I wonder how many people that
aren't members post updates about their LEGO eBay auctions on Lugnet, and never
give back to the upkeep of Lugnet... I hadn't ever thought of that before.

And the admin one is equally justifiable [1].  However...

As for OT, there are innumerable newsgroups for every brand of discussion
for those who want to participate--why should LUGNET have to provide the
free fix for debate junkies?

...one of the purposes of the debate groups is for a place for non-LEGO topics
to spill over from other groups- organically arrived at debates, rather than
hothouse debates grown solely for off-topic.debate.  If potential members
aren't allowed to post there, they might feel less welcome and therefore less
likely to become members.

I guess, since I want to see Lugnet flourish, I am in favor of doing whatever
makes people most likely to become members, given the kind of person that they
are.

eric

[1] I should say that both of these ideas would require restructuring the
groups slightly from their present form, but I don't want to get into it right
now.  Point is, I agree with the principle behind the idea.