 Administrative / General / 8527
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:34:50 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
But this fails to address something I see as a larger problem- that the
off-topic.debate group is being used for more than just a release valve for
off-topic arguments/discussions that by the nature of newsgroups automatically
crop up from time to time, and are instead being used to support ongoing,
unsolvable and ultimately meaningless diatribes and debates.  If there were a
way to reasonably solve that problem, I'd rather see that addressed
specifically.

Well, some would argue that the god debate has meaning, since those of us on
the wrong side are in danger of losing our immortal souls, etc. But ya.
Definintely unresolvable, no matter what, though.

The recent history of .debate is certainly that the types of shouting
matches have little chance of being productive, however, I will point
out that back some time ago, the "Libertarian" debate DID have real
productivity. It DID change someone's outlook (and being the person
who's outlook was changed, I think I can say that authoratively). That's
what I'd like to return to, the productive debate.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com