 Administrative / General / 8526
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:33:39 GMT

I suggest
you post some ideas of your own, I'm trying to get some brainstorming going...

Well, as soon as I can come up with an idea that I myself can't pick apart on
1000 levels, I will.  Unfortunately, thus far I've been unsuccessful...

Right now the last word goes to whoever is persistent enough to keep trying
for it until everyone else gives up.

Yeah, but that's the default way of "winning" an argument or flamewar on
Usenet. :D

I think this would cause many more problems than solutions.  Think back to
lugnet.admin.council- except that by definition these reviews would be forced
to take place offline.

Yes, that experiment worked quite well. :-) Mostly because we started in
before we knew what Todd actually wanted it for, and got it stunningly wrong.

Hey, don't blame me, I never even admitted to being a member of said council
publicly until the whole thing had folded.  I pretty much grokked what Todd
wanted from the get-go, though even I'm not sure why.  Might have been
something he said offline (I'm not thinking of something specific he said
offline, I honestly don't remember).

I did keep the black robes and mask, though, in case we were ever called out of
retirement. :D

This time, since the end goal is much clearer (stop the madness) and smaller
(in only the one group) maybe we'd have a chance. Or maybe not, maybe it
would be a way to alienate people wholesale instead of retail.

I think more the latter than the former.  At least the idea behind
admin.council was that things would be hashed out publicly.  There was not
going to be any behind-the-scenes discussion or anything, and people still
immediately became afeared of the Cabal of the Council; this time, that fear
would be justified to some extent (as opposed to "no extent", which is how far
I feel the fear of admin.council was justified.  But that's a story for
another time).

It may be simpler to implement than some of the others too. And we could get
a nice barter economy going in which I'll sell you my post slot in exchange
for you selling me yours in a thread later on that I care about?? :-)

Oh, god no.  I guess you popped a hole in that one. :D

Of course, you would have to find a way to stop someone from simply starting • a
new "thread" to respond more than once to actually make this work, and I • don't
see how that can be done.

Thread moderator? Only one new thread a day?

A moderator is by definition bad, IMHO (see above) and who decides, then, which
thread it will be?  I promise you I will set my alarm for whatever time allows
me to be the first one to post a new thread, and they will all 100% be debating
the age-old question "Oatmeal:  Brown sugar or fruit?" just to keep anyone from
debating anything anymore.

Well, some would argue that the god debate has meaning, since those of us on
the wrong side are in danger of losing our immortal souls, etc.

But they'd be wrong, so who cares?

Ha!  That was a joke.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll go to Valhalla when I die, so I'm all set.

But ya.
Definintely unresolvable, no matter what, though.

Not true- God can sign up for posting priviledges on Lugnet just like any other
intelligent entity, and His presence would probably end the debate pretty
quick.

++Lar (stuck in detroit for many hours)

Larry=Motor City Madman.  Got it.

eric