 Administrative / General / 8525
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:29:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes:>>Hey, that's a good
idea- if you pay to become a Lugnet member, you're allowed
to voice your opinions.

Sorry, Larry, I can't agree with that.

Why not? Think of it as a bonus of membership (ya, that's right, getting
yourself dragged through the muck of .debate is a bonus, where do I sign?) :-)

  I'm not yet a member (mainly because most of my posting has been to OT
rather than LEGO-specific contributions), so perhaps I'll count as a hostile
witness when I suggest that your idea has great merit.  Many sites offer
provisional or limited access for non-members, only granting full privelege
to those who subscribe.  Why should that not be in place here?  If the
purpose of LUGNET is to allow like-minded LEGO users to share opinions, then
I can see allowing unrestricted postingaccess to LEGO-specific groups.  But
why should a non-member get any say in admin?  One might argue that
.marketplace should be restricted, since the poster is essentially getting
free advertising.  Members directly contribute to LUGNET, and as such
there's no reason why they shouldn't reap greater benefit than non-members.
As for OT, there are innumerable newsgroups for every brand of discussion
for those who want to participate--why should LUGNET have to provide the
free fix for debate junkies?  Granted, many forums (fora?) degenerate into
profanity and trolling inside of a few posts, but too bad.  If you want a
civil arena for discourse, you can reasonably be expected to pay for the luxury.

  Just a few thoughts,

     Dave!