 Administrative / General / 8516
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:53:22 GMT

While I think many of the posts have been somewhat useless (not even
entertaining!), there are still many posts that either make me think, or
entertain me, so I'm all for keeping the group around.

Frank Filz wrote:

Well, after another few weeks of .debate, I'm really really thinking I'm
just going to abandon it, and honestly, more and more, I'm feeling it's
a waste of Lugnet resources to have it. There are two constantly
recurring shouting matches:

- Scott vs Larry (and sorry folks - as they always say, it takes two to
tangle [though I do have an opinion as to who has consistently provided
worthwhile contribution to .debate])

- The religion "debate" which constantly drags off into the Christians
saying their piece, which is not even remotely a debate because their
position by their definition CAN NOT be open to critical discussion.

I think there are interesting things to debate, but it isn't happening
here, and I honestly don't forsee it ever happening. One problem is that
too many of the folks who are interested in honest debates have given up
here.

I'm also not convinced that the rancor generated in .debate will always
stay there. We have seen leakage several times over the past weeks, and
I see that leakage being a result of shouting matches building up steam
in people here, and not being a place for folks to let off steam from
hot discussion in other areas.

If anyone has any ideas for how to make .debate something worth
participating in, I'd love to hear them.

--
Frank Filz
blowing off some steam...

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com