 Administrative / General / 8515
Re: Message-ID -> Article number
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:42:52 GMT

[redirecting to .admin.nntp]

In lugnet.admin.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
In USENET, an article is refered to by it's Message-ID.  Now, LUGNET
is not USENET, and here articles are normally refered to by the
article number on the server.  This makes it a bit hard for me (or
anyone else who reads from the SMTP or NNTP interface) to refer to
articles.

Say I am writing an article and want to refer to an older article by
myself or anybody else.  I know the Message-ID of the article in
question, but I cannot find the article number on the LUGNET server
unless I fire up my dial up connection and start searching for it.
And with the search function out of order, this is quite hard.

So what I would like is a way to refer to articles on LUGNET by their
Message-ID.  For example something like this:

    http://news.lugnet.com/message.id/<Message-ID>

So that I can simply plug in the Message-ID and post a link to it.

I would really hate to see NNTP Message ID's floating around in HTTP URLs.

A workaround is simply to use a standardized NNTP URL format -- for example:

That's postable as-is.

Or, if you want to convert that to an HTTP URL, it's as easy as looking at
the Xref header on the message served directly from the NNTP server, which
in the above case is:

and simply transmogrify that into:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general,8505

which automagically redirects to: