 Administrative / General / 6120
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:34:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:

I think it was a good idea.  This comment makes me glad I read news in a
real newsreader and don't have my expectations colored by ratings.

I use the web-interface for 100% of my LUGNET usage.. and most of the time I
don't even notice the rating a post gets when I'm reading through a thread. I
did at first, but now (through familiarisation) I don't notice it unless I look
for it.

It sounds like the ratings are more an indication of the people who rate
things than of how interesting the post might be.

Yup - it is very subjective, when several people vote it becomes more
meaningful.. but when there is only one or two then you shouldn't assume that
everyone likes or dislikes your post.. as it is entirely unrepresentative!

Richard