 Administrative / General / 551
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:08:09 GMT

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

My mail->news converter code bounces messages back to their author when
it can't post an article -- except if the message came through a non-
lugnet.groupname@lugnet.com gateway (i.e., a mailing list).  So, although
this cleanly avoids bouncing failed messages back to a mailing list (which
would be horrendously bad because everyone on the list would get a copy of the
bounced mail), it does have the problem that rejected messages still disappear
silently into the bit bucket.

Does that matter?  Yes (maybe) because certain types of messages are still
rejected even if From-line validation is are circumvented by way of a mailing
list.  Any kind of binary content or MIME message is still always rejected.

So perhaps failed messages originating from other gateways should actually be
bounced back after all -- but not to the list itself -- instead to the list's
administrator.

Would that be better or worse than deleting the message silently?  I guess it'd
be up to the list administrator on a case-by-case basis.

Do silent bouncing, particularly in the case of bouncing for
attachments/binary content.  If it made it through the list, they can
either police themselves (ie, flame their own members) or that type of
content is allowable on that list.

Case-by-case setup is probably better, if it isn't too much work.

Steve