 Administrative / General / 527
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:07:49 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Agreed, it's not perfect, but IMO, it would be unethical (and therefore it
is simply not an option) to ever publish messages here from anyone who has
not gone through the news posting setup and explicitly said they understand
all the legal rigamarole -- publishing of their name, their content, etc.

After thinking for a bit, I think I would feel okay about this if you could
conspire with the list owner to explain all of this in the info-message for
the list. I just don't want people to be surprised by it.

Hmm, this problem must come up all the time with mailing list technology
and the abundance of list exploders.  I wonder how this scenario differs from
the reverse situation, where a mailing list would have to reject posts coming
from people -it- doesn't recognize.  Because, if, say, lego-robotics@crynwr.com
and  lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com -were- hooked together for message-sharing --
so that they each were simply members of the other's distribution list -- then
both would reject messages from people they didn't recognize.  I guess there'd
be some kind of Venn diagram,
        _________
       /    _____\___
      |    /      |  \
      | A |       |   |
      |   |  A^B  |   |
      |   |       | B |
       \__\______/    |
           \_________/

with only messages from A^B authors showing up in both locations.  This might
be confusing to some readers, but it's a lot like some servers only carrying
certain newsgroups -- all it needs is a picture to explain, and then the
list maintainers try to reduce the A and B areas down to as small an area as
possible.

The added challenge here is that the true subscription list of
lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com is unknown.  There is a known distribution list
of people who receive it via e-mail, but that list is only a small subset of
the people who can actually post to it.  Since it's not a mailing list (but
rather a newsgroup which happens to be sendable via e-mail), it's postable-to
by anyone who can post to any lugnet.* group -- either by posting a message
to lugnet.robotics directly or instead by sending a message via e-mail to
lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com, which in turn gateways that message into the
lugnet.robotics newsgroup.

I've set things up here so that any message to a lugnet.* group via e-mail
which originates from a gateway other than lugnet.groupname@lugnet.com is
silently rejected -- we wouldn't want to be sending out annoying bounce
notifications to people everytime they posted something if they didn't
want it to show up in the respective lugnet group.

So I wonder how mailing list packages deal with this sort of thing?  If the
contents of some lugnet.* group were gatewayed into a mailing list, wouldn't
all the authors not subscribed to that mailing list get bounce notifications
via e-mail from that mailing list daemon?  Or can traditional mailing lists
be set up not to send bounce notifications to people posting messages from
other gateways?

--Todd