 Administrative / General / 524
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:59:58 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
How will you deal with non-LUGnet-valid users posting to mailing lists?

Silently ignore them.  (It's smart enough to silently reject messages
submitted though non- lugnet.groupname@lugnet.com gateways.)

So, if someone is on the crynwr lego robotics mailing list but hadn't
"introduced" themselves to LUGnet, their messages would just never appear
here?

Correct.

Hmmm. That seems an imperfect solution.

Agreed, it's not perfect, but IMO, it would be unethical (and therefore it
is simply not an option) to ever publish messages here from anyone who has
not gone through the news posting setup and explicitly said they understand
all the legal rigamarole -- publishing of their name, their content, etc.

An alternative to completely ignoring messages might be to hold someone's
messages in some sort of waiting queue (with maybe a 1 week timeout before
deleting them), and retroactively inject those messages later -- if & when
they ever decide through the Setup process.

--Todd