 Administrative / General / 553
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:57:51 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
this cleanly avoids bouncing failed messages back to a mailing list (which
would be horrendously bad because everyone on the list would get a copy of the
bounced mail), it does have the problem that rejected messages still disappear
silently into the bit bucket.

I think that might be ok. Because the person sending the message to the
e-mail list might not necessarily even care about whether LUGnet accepted
the message. Just like if a list-recipient's mailbox were full or otherwise
not accepting mail -- the rest of the list doesn't want to see the bounces.

So perhaps failed messages originating from other gateways should actually be
bounced back after all -- but not to the list itself -- instead to the list's
administrator.

I dunno. It'd be better to (automatically of course) find the originator of
the problem message and send it do them directly -- the list admin probably
has enough to bother with. My friend Paul runs the Quote of the Day list for
our Quotes 'R' Us site. It's got only a few thousand users, and it's
write-only once-a-day, and it still consumes a fair amount of his time.