 Administrative / General / 512
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:14:11 GMT

Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
and include a list of newsgroups you'd like to receive via e-mail and any
other thoughts or comments you might like to add.

Personally, my interest comes from the other direction -- I want to read
things like the crynwr lego robotics list here, rather than via e-mail. But
this is a good start. :)

Hmm, I love a challenge...I'll see if I can make both happen.

Theoretically, it's possible to include any other mailing list in the
distribution list of e-mail addresses for any lugnet.* group.

And conversely, any other mailing list can theoretically add a lugnet.*
group in its distribution list.

To avoid duplicate messages showing up, X-Loop headers are used. (Message-ID
tracking is also sufficient, but not necessary.)

I've got the outgoing mail feed set up to insert headers like this:

Then procmail simply trashes messages with ^X-Loop:.*lugnet\..*\@lugnet\.com
(It also ignores bounces and returned mail, of course.  :)  It will also need
to be smart enough not to send a message back to a mailing list if the mailing
list's listserver doesn't add its own X-Loop headers.  But that's easy to
work around.

--Todd