 Administrative / General / 538
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:45:07 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Say, do mailing list servers allow people to be write-only or read-only?
That is, can they be set so that someone is allowed to submit messages but
isn't flooded with the normal traffic from the list?  I read last night that
at least one listserver allowed this; maybe they all do.

Majordomo can be set up this way. By definition, any decent list server must
be as good as Majordomo.

Huh. You're proposing that people who want to read/post on LUGnet but not
via e-mail would be set up as able to post, but not actually be on the
distribution list? That'd be a Very Interesting list configuration. I'm
fairly sure it'd work though.

server here were allowed to send out messages to a given mailing list. And
sending out copies of people's posts without their permission fits well
within the Terms of Use, which allow LUGNET to republish submitted content
in any medium.  (So in effect, they have already given their permission to
do so.)

The mailing list users probably haven't explicitly given such permission. At
least I don't think so -- I didn't actually read the fine print. :)