 Administrative / General / 537
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:45:47 GMT

Michael Ulring wrote:
My understanding is that you are offering the ability to receive messages
sent to any lugnet.* group via email.  Does it follow that if on any given
day there are 32 messages posted to the lugnet.general group, all the group's
email subscribers would receive 32 seperate messages?  If my understanding is
incorrect please adjust my intellect :)

That's correct.  In fact, it's running now, and I'm posting this message via
e-mail.  The 'X-Nntp-Gateway' header of this message should say

Assuming I know what I'm talking about, would it be possible to offer a
"digest" mode where you'd only receive one message per day that would
contain all new messages for that day concatenated into one long message
with seperate headers?  This would be vastly preferred by myself as my
mailbox tends to get too full as it is.

Yes, that's 100% possible.  And probably pretty easy to do -- aside from the
configuration options and support issues.  But there are additional issues
with digests -- people have to be smart enough to delete everything that
they're not replying to, and if digests aren't sent in a standard format,
people can't split the apart back into regular messages.

I'd rather not get into digests until after the more important parts of the
web site here are up and running.  So maybe digests in December or something.

--Todd