 Administrative / General / 514
Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 01:16:05 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
[followups set to lugnet.admin.general]

If anyone is interested in receiving lugnet.* discussion groups by mail, I'm
going to try a simple news<->mail experiment.

I have received 3 lugnet.trains mail echo posts since you turned it on for me.
Since the instructions were rather vague, I presume it's currently a human (you
:-)  ) processing the requests...

Seems to be working fine. Can you turn off "trains" for me? On reflection, I
think a mail echo, for me anyway, is most useful for very low traffic groups
that I don't want to have to check on just to discover no activity, but
nevertheless have an interest.

(the hot groups list is useful but imprecise unless I use it exactly once an
hour, or exactly once every 24 hours. not likely.. :-)  )

Long (1) term if you turn 8080 on again, I will probably go that route.

The web interface is nice but the programming effort to get it to be as good as
a full featured news interface (which can cache arbitrary context information
locally) is likely to be quite high. I'd rather see you spend your effort
elsewhere (2)

1 - well... medium term. Long term the native interface will be so spiffy and
integrated with other media and databases that I'll want to use it again.

2 - Yes, this is a reversal of my previous opinion, which was evidenced by all
those requests for enhancements. But I want my LUGNET house site... :-)

++Lar