 Administrative / General / 508
  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Personally, my interest comes from the other direction -- I want to read things like the crynwr lego robotics list here, rather than via e-mail. But this is a good start. :) (26 years ago, 24-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Hmm, I love a challenge...I'll see if I can make both happen. Theoretically, it's possible to include any other mailing list in the distribution list of e-mail addresses for any lugnet.* group. And conversely, any other mailing list can (...) (26 years ago, 25-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) :) glad to make things interesting for you! How will you deal with non-LUGnet-valid users posting to mailing lists? (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) So, if someone is on the crynwr lego robotics mailing list but hadn't "introduced" themselves to LUGnet, their messages would just never appear here? Hmmm. That seems an imperfect solution. (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) After thinking for a bit, I think I would feel okay about this if you could conspire with the list owner to explain all of this in the info-message for the list. I just don't want people to be surprised by it. (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Silently ignore them. (It's smart enough to silently reject messages submitted though non- lugnet.groupname@lugnet.com gateways.) --Todd (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Correct. (...) Agreed, it's not perfect, but IMO, it would be unethical (and therefore it is simply not an option) to ever publish messages here from anyone who has not gone through the news posting setup and explicitly said they understand (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Very true. That's why conspiring together is the best way. :) [much snipped] (...) Yes, that's certainly much messier than I'd thought initially. Ug. (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) True. But an arrangement like this wouldn't be trading e-mail addresses as such -- it'd be more of an expanding of both services. (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Majordomo can be set up this way. By definition, any decent list server must be as good as Majordomo. Huh. You're proposing that people who want to read/post on LUGnet but not via e-mail would be set up as able to post, but not actually be on (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Hmm, this problem must come up all the time with mailing list technology and the abundance of list exploders. I wonder how this scenario differs from the reverse situation, where a mailing list would have to reject posts coming from people (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) But you can't just go trading people's e-mail addresses without their permission. :-( (...) I've got it solved on my end, but I don't know how traditional mailing list servers are set up. Surely this has come up at least a zillion times before (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Hmm, so if there were a checkbox saying "give my e-mail address to lego- related mailing list servers so that my messages posted here can be allowed to show up there as well," would that suffice? Say, do mailing list servers allow people to be (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) That's the way it works, yes. Say there is some discussion group (newsgroup) called lugnet.foo. Then all messages arriving into lugnet.foo are echoed out to an e-mail distribution list (person-by-person, group-by-group voluntary (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail

(...) Okie dokie, here's my solution. Let's take your message (which I'm replying to) as an example. Instead of gatewaying your message out as: Subject: Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail From: mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.* discussion groups by mail