 Administrative / General / 5012
Re: Reminder: the .off-topic.* groups ARE for off-topic topics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Phillips writes:
I have told many people about lugnet, and what a great site for lego
content, but the volumes of messages the last few days contradict that.
When will we be returned to our regularly scheduled programming?

As far as I'm aware, all of the religious debate messages are all properly
placed in the .off-topic.debate group (with a couple spinoff sub-threads in
the .admin.general group)...  Just set your newsreader not to download the
.off-topic.debate group, if you would like to ignore them.  If you're using
the web interface, you may want to look at the Traffic Report page[1]
instead of the main homepage.

I shouldn't be so callous.

Quite a few people are visibly upset by (or at least uncomfortably jarred by)
the increase in bickering and other non-LEGO discussions recently.  Things
tend to flare up for a few days and then quiet down, or to go in waves, but
recently there have been several different co-incidental "waves," making for
a very unfriendly place to the casual user.

The two biggest contributors to the "noise" (meaning anything non-LEGO in
this case) seem to be the .off-topic.* tree and the .admin.* tree.

Perhaps, until a better filtering solution can be implemented, these two
parts of the ng hierarchy ought not to be included in the top-level summary
at the homepage afterall.  There's no great way to tell how many people are
adversely affected by the noise, but my gut tells me that tucking these away
would be a noticable improvement.

--Todd