 Administrative / General / 5018
Re: Hide .off-topic & .admin posts from top page? (was: Re: Reminder: the .off-topic.* groups ARE for off-topic topics)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:14:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Peter Callaway writes:
[...]
As one who is contributing to this non-LEGO noise at the present I don't
really mind where .off-topic resides, as long as I can still get to it (I
tend to read from the web interface). It's probably not a bad idea for the
more recognisably controversial groups to be shifted to prevent deterring
newcomers.

"Recognisably controversial" -- that's an interesting (and helpful) choice
of words.  By that metric, I think there are actually 3 areas which could
end up deterring newcomers:

   1) .off-topic.*
   2) .admin.*
   3) .market.auction

(Not 100% sure about the third one, but it *is* controversial, and I've heard
quite a bit of anti-auction (especially anti-eBay announcements) talk lately.
I'd hate to exclude the entire .market.* tree from the homepage, though,
because of things like .shopping (for example) which probably appeal to
most people.  Hmm, I wonder about the .market.jambalaya group...)

--Todd