 Administrative / General / 5013
Re: Reminder: the .off-topic.* groups ARE for off-topic topics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:38:37 GMT

Quite a few people are visibly upset by (or at least uncomfortably jarred by)
the increase in bickering and other non-LEGO discussions recently.  Things
tend to flare up for a few days and then quiet down, or to go in waves, but
recently there have been several different co-incidental "waves," making for
a very unfriendly place to the casual user.

The two biggest contributors to the "noise" (meaning anything non-LEGO in
this case) seem to be the .off-topic.* tree and the .admin.* tree.

Perhaps, until a better filtering solution can be implemented, these two
parts of the ng hierarchy ought not to be included in the top-level summary
at the homepage afterall.  There's no great way to tell how many people are
adversely affected by the noise, but my gut tells me that tucking these away
would be a noticable improvement.

won't this break the rule of no-special-cases though?  Unless there's
already a mechanism build in for it...?

Dan

(also testing netscape news interface - I'm supposed to be able to reply
now, right? :)