 Administrative / General / 5011
Re: German books available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:08:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Note that if you use these links, LUGNET gets referral dollars (with no
increase in what you as the purchaser pay for the books) which is a Good
Thing.  And these seem like neato books too!

However, just to play devil's advocate, if one wanted to be a hard case,
one could construe that because the lugnet refer is given, and because
it wasn't posted to a market group and it wasn't in a signature, this is
a flog... :-) I think it's vastly stretching the point to do that, so I
won't, except to illustrate how gray an area this is. If you think I'm
actually being critical you're not reading carefully enough. :-)

Saw it, interpreted it that way, filed it under "not worth pursuing".

A couple things to note:  (1) the message didn't break any of the Discussion
Group Terms & Conditions, and (2) it was, as far as I can tell, pretty well
targeted to the .books and .robotics.rcx groups, and I don't recall (although
I could be wrong) anyone else yet having mentioned that these books existed.

Personally, I would have excluded .general and included .loc.de in its place,
but even as it was, I don't think the message broke any rules...(did it?).

The T&C say that one mustn't "post information or material for commercial
purposes which is not reasonably related to LEGO toys" (these clearly were,
yes?) and that one mustn't "post or re-post a message excessively, especially
unsolicited advertisements, even if they are directly or indirectly related
to LEGO toys" (it was only posted once).

To repeat, I think this is perfectly fine but it might raise one eyebrow
somewhere in the universe, maybe.

Welp, hmm, if this sort of thing raises eyebrows, then it's probably best if
we (Suz & I) refrain from making these types of postings in the newsgroups.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it because it's perfectly within
the T&C, but if it _looks_ bad (even if it's not), then it's probably not
healthy.

Thanks for noting.  I think you're right that it could look questionable...
probably best to err on the conservative side here.

--Todd