 Administrative / General / 4611
  New group suggestion

I'd like to suggest a new group: lugnet.shopping.fotw For discussions about unusual finds. (traditionally "find of the week"). Unusual == hard to find or deeply discounted KL (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Oops, I guess that would be lugnet.marketplace.fotw or lugnet.marketplace.s...pping.fotw KL (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) c /marketplace/market/ And as this seems to be the time to suggest restructuring lugnet.market, why not lugnet.market.commercial, for anyone who is posting information for LEGO their commercial operation is selling? Steve (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Hmm, the rationale being what? (Not disagreeing, just unclear on the motivation behind it.) To increase (encourage) more FOTW posts? To make FOTW's easier to find? To make FOTW's come and find you (by subscribing to the group via e-mail?) I'm (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Well, we can add groups, but doing an actual restructuring would be a major major undertaking. (...) Can you give some examples? If you mean things like x.com and paypal.com, what do you think about the name lugnet.market.services for (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

Todd Lehman wrote: <snip> (...) Another example would be my post about the stack of Belville 5870s I found (URL). I put it in market.b-s-t because I was pretty sure that I would be selling them. I believe that this one would meet the 'extremely (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Hmm, that's a very interesting example -- totally perfect for .buy-sell-trade as is, but (if there were a .shopping.hot group or somesuch) possibly borderline between that and .b-s-t (although .b-s-t would still certainly be perfectly fine). (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

It seems to me that a new group for hot availability items (good price, unusual offering, etc) is not really necessary. It seems to me that that is the purpose of shopping. Of course a cross post to buy-sell-trade that a particular person is willing (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Well, yah, hmm, that's a good point. Who's gonna flog a crummy deal in .shopping? OTOH, .shopping was also set up for discussing any old retail experience -- i.e, anything from FOTW's to GOOB's to ragging on FAOS's alleged high pricing or (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Groups for years (was: Re: New group suggestion)

(...) Well, groups do stick around, so the 'new' designator wouldn't be fitting after a certain point. I was thinking if ever there were groups for product line years, they oughtta parallel the DB, since this'll be set up for browsing by year anyway (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) That's a good point. Where I was going with this is that by encouraging people to post when and where they find old sets or significantly discounted sets it would make it easier for others to find the same. However, I think the above example (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Groups for years (was: Re: New group suggestion)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) make (...) buy (...) want (...) product (...) Sounds like a winner to me. We can slowly backfill the older groups with interesting tidbits. This would be a great place to share things like minor set variations (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) At this point, I'm thinking of a place for Emmanuel to post his DYA announcements. Going a bit more extreme, if Wal*Mart wanted to start posting their LEGO specials on LUGNET, I think that would be great. But I wouldn't want these (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) I agree that bst is not really the right place for the DYA announcements. (...) I think putting the DYA announcements in their own group may just end up with people re-announcing them to shopping. I personally don't want to have to follow (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Problem is, on the internet, the line between a business and a person selling individual things gets really blurry. Where do you draw the line between a business and a person selling parts/sets? What would you call BAYLIT or AucZilla, a (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Both BAYLIT and AucZILLA are operations which deal *exclusively* with LEGO. Contrast that with DYA, which sells other items besides LEGO. Also, BAYLIT and AucZILLA have grown up out of the operators' LEGO hobby/fanaticism. Again, contrast that (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) Hmm, surely DYA must be capable of setting up its own mail/distro list for such things... --Todd (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New group suggestion

(...) I very much like the idea of lugnet.market.shopping.sales - this would be the group to quickly check before going shopping to see if anyone has found a sale going on at the moment. I've wished for this for some time, since currently it takes (...) (24 years ago, 28-Feb-00, to lugnet.admin.general)