 Administrative / General / 4619
Re: New group suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:11:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
I'd like to suggest a new group:
lugnet.shopping.fotw
For discussions about unusual finds.
(traditionally "find of the week").
Unusual == hard to find or deeply discounted

Oops, I guess that would be
lugnet.marketplace.fotw
or
lugnet.marketplace.shopping.fotw

Hmm, the rationale being what?  (Not disagreeing, just unclear on the
motivation behind it.)

To increase (encourage) more FOTW posts?  To make FOTW's easier to find?
To make FOTW's come and find you (by subscribing to the group via e-mail?)

I'm with ya mostly on the making-it-easier-to-find part, but a leary of the
name actually matching that purpose.  Most FOTW's I've seen over the past
few years are one-time finds -- at least, that's how the term originated:
someone would find some old Forestmen set sitting on a shelf collecting dust
at an obsucre "ma and pa toystore" and would post in excitement about their
find, but typically no one else would ever be able to repeat that find.

What about (alternatively) something like this?--

   lugnet.market.shopping.sales

wherein S@H specials could be crossposted there (or followups set to there)
and all sorts of things such as...

   - $30 6748 at TRU
   - $2.64 8226 at Target
   - various GOOB (going out of business) sales
   - various LEGO Outlet lists
   - LEGO S@H phone specials

...and more would all fit in.  However, a group named .sales would kinda
exclude "hot news" of items which weren't necessarily on sale but were
extremely difficult to find in stores.  One example of this type was posted
a year ago under the label of FOTW, but since the store was left with still
quite a bit of product, many people called and ordered items to be shipped,
and IIRC, the store was cleaned out within a matter of hours:

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ma/bos/?n=59

So that worked out great.

Another example I remember was a store in Maryland which had 50%-off 5571's
about a year ago, and the store was quickly cleaned out:

   http://www.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=106

So that worked out great too.

It'd kinda be a bummer IMHO for those types of posts to be excluded (or at
least not to be clearly welcomed).

If the basic idea is to get info out to people as quickly and as focused as
possible -- so that they can also take advantage of the sale/deal as quickly
as posible -- then I'm all for it if there aren't major objections -- but
let's brainstorm a bunch of possible names...

   lugnet.market.shopping.fotw
   lugnet.market.shopping.sales
   lugnet.market.shopping.notable
   lugnet.market.shopping.hot
   lugnet.market.shopping.sizzlers
   lugnet.market.shopping.get-it-while-you-can   ;-)
   ...other possibilities...?

And some things we'd need to decide are:

- Whether or not it would be appropriate for retailers themselves (for example
  DYA) to post notices here.  (IMHO, it should be wide-open initially -- only
  restricted if it's being abused.)

- Would it be an quick-info-dispersal group (a la .announce) or would it also
  be a discussion group?  (This is basically just a bit set to 1 or 0 on the
  server saying whether or not the 'Followup-To:' field must be set to another
  group when posting to it.)

Opinions/concerns/thoughts?

--Todd