 Administrative / General / 4699
Re: New group suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:43:58 GMT

If the basic idea is to get info out to people as quickly and as focused as
possible -- so that they can also take advantage of the sale/deal as quickly
as posible -- then I'm all for it if there aren't major objections -- but
let's brainstorm a bunch of possible names...

  lugnet.market.shopping.fotw
  lugnet.market.shopping.sales
  lugnet.market.shopping.notable
  lugnet.market.shopping.hot
  lugnet.market.shopping.sizzlers
  lugnet.market.shopping.get-it-while-you-can   ;-)
  ...other possibilities...?

And some things we'd need to decide are:

- Whether or not it would be appropriate for retailers themselves (for example
DYA) to post notices here.  (IMHO, it should be wide-open initially -- only
restricted if it's being abused.)

- Would it be an quick-info-dispersal group (a la .announce) or would it also
be a discussion group?  (This is basically just a bit set to 1 or 0 on the
server saying whether or not the 'Followup-To:' field must be set to another
group when posting to it.)

Opinions/concerns/thoughts?

--Todd

I very much like the idea of lugnet.market.shopping.sales - this would be the
group to quickly check before going shopping to see if anyone has found a sale
going on at the moment.  I've wished for this for some time, since currently
it takes considerably more time to search to find the same information.  Also,
having a specific group would probably make people more likely to post sales
that they've found, helping everyone.

--
  David Schilling