 Administrative / General / 13029
  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) At times I wondered about that. ;) (...) I, for one, do care. You sound rather bitter... which is a real shame. You sound like you are willing Lugnet to fail. I was sad that you all had to "resign", but you must recognise that LUGNET is now a (...) (19 years ago, 15-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) No. If it was better, would Suz be taking the actions she's taking? Don't confuse cause and effect. - Kelly (19 years ago, 15-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) No it's not, it's just that no situation has yet arisen that makes the fact obvious. But think of this : - all of the cool stuff talked about, even at BF'04 isn't going to happen anytime soon, if at all - interest will drop even further - like (...) (19 years ago, 15-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Kelly, I hear you, but this is wrong. I must take a moment to correct your assumption: If I had to point to one reason over all others as to why I'm doing this right now, it's because of my husband and our relationship being in jeopardy over (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Okay, I called my doctor and was able to postpone 'till 3:30 because someone else canceled. That means I have to leave in about 90 minutes. -Suz (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Suz, Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't actually having an issue with what you are doing or why (and in many ways I'm in the same type of situation you are), but more with Scott's assertion that LUGNET is better off because Larry, Frank, (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Kelly I really appreciate your words, especially those in this last paragraph that echos the way many of us feel. My fear is also that no other site can pick up the slack, at least not in a timely enough situation, as you mentioned. The more (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Suzanne, after reading your website comments, I can see the strain that this has had on your personal life. Now for the tough question.... is Todd willing to give up the code to Lugnet? If so, then there may be hope for the future of Lugnet. I (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Even with the code, specially if all is in PERL, it's till a daunting task to maintain it all. There's (unfortunately IMHO) a reason pretty much every website under the moon these days uses some "cheap" CMS system with a simple webboard (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) (I'm sorry... I oft forget that everyone doesn't know all that I do.) Yes, he did so when I went to Boston the first time. That was my reason for meeting with him face-to-face. Please consider me his buffer. [thinking...] ...I don't know how (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  LUGNET's code [was: Random thought of the day]

(...) yes. this touches on what I meant. And let me say, NNTP and the e-mail lists are extremely important to me. Todd was teaching himself Perl as he created LUGNET. This is what I'd call "personal project driven learning." Anyone who's done this (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: LUGNET's code [was: Random thought of the day]

(...) The code does take some getting used to. Reading Todd's code was sometimes really amazing - you'd see he was planning for things you know he had no idea he will need one day. And whenever solving a new problem, there were always many hooks to (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET's code [was: Random thought of the day]

Suz wrote: <SNIP big tech history> (...) Exactly, there are enough sites like that out there, to me it's the NNTP that made it unique. As for Dan's reply, I think he's spot on in several things. However it seems certain pieces of what he lists are (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET's code [was: Random thought of the day]

In lugnet.admin.general, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote: [...] (...) Welllll.... I'm sorry to say that this didn't finish setup. The servers are there, but a few weeks ago they were to receive an upgrade to the new BU Linux, and I told MattM to hold off (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET's code [was: Random thought of the day]

(...) Some parts are excessively documented (like the PML engine) and some parts are poorly documented (like the query engine), and the rest falls somewhere in the middle, mostly being scantily documented. (...) PML is just Perl inside of HTML...so (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: LUGNET's code [was: Random thought of the day]

--SNIP-- (...) Cool, sounds like PHP done right. Tim (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) I'm not an insider at LUGNET and I've never seen the code or heard about until the remarks here. I have been a coder/designer (and whatever terms apply) at various shops over the years and I *have* seen code where calling it 'patched' would (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Random thought of the day

(...) Hi, Ray! Short answer (quoting a friend): a) Lugnet needs a sustainable governing mechanism. b) Lugnet needs a sustainable revenue source. c) etc... There are all kinds of possibile aproaches to those first two blocks, but 'A' might mean (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)