 Administrative / General / 11960 (-20)
  Re: SPAM and OT messages

<Snip> (...) </Snip> Mr. S, Thank you for your insightful and thoughtful post. As far as I can tell, the only person who is overreacting here is you. As you can very well read, you may have noticed that I did, infact, forward these concerns to the (...) (20 years ago, 3-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) You see it as a mock of someone. I see it as a mock of an outrageous claim. (...) Mocks of some people are acceptable, though perhaps not appropriate, outside the administrative area. (...) And yet, Larry, you mocked me... -snip- (...) One (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) Possibly. But by no means necessarily. In my view, sometimes the way a point is made contributes to the understanding of the point being made. (...) But your condescending reprimand to me contained both sarcasm and mockery, right? And I note (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: SPAM and OT messages

(...) It is certainly true that there is a considerable level of effort required to ensure an open access mailing list is free of spam. (...) I didn't see any complaints about the specific messages. I saw a question as to why there is a linkage (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) Hi! (...) Exactly why getting the FUT right is very helpful to the goal of keeping things well compartmentalized. (...) That's certainly not the intent, nor is it my perception. However if you could provide a few cites where you feel that's (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Open source and admin.suggestions

(...) Is Lugnet going to become open source? If so, I think the answer to this and many other technical issues lies there. If not, then it would be interesting to know the reasons. On a personal note, I would most likely contribute in some manner (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Don't forget to VOTE !!!!

(...) Unfortunately not. There was an intentional decision made to link the list with the Lugnet group. The only real way to block this would either be to break that link, or to require all posts be authenticated like any other post (which would (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) We are in the process of discussing use of .general. It is my opinion that .general should be used for things that no other better group exists for. If a particular topic is blossoming in .general, it may be time for a new group to be created. (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Don't forget to VOTE !!!!

Um, Admins? What does this have to do with Lego and Lego robotics? Is there no way to filter posts (or otherwise fix the problems) that come from the crynwyr site? -Rob Entire message attached: "Liz Bilbro" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) It seems like the definition of what is on-topic for .general is very elastic. If a post shows up in .general which could conceivably show up in a more specific newsgroup, does that mean it's off-topic for general? If so, than the last 25 (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) It is my view (and that of other admins) that discussion of whether it is appropriate to mock someone is OFF topic for .general. Hopelessly off topic. Do you agree? If not, why not? It is my view (and that of other admins) that discussion of (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

Hello! (...) That's actually true, and that's what I did now, too. (...) Funny that you picked this example. It's in particular due to the colour change issue that I dislike the practice of forcefully resetted FUT. Whenever somebody only marginally (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) From the Terms of Use: 12. (do not) Stray hopelessly off-topic without moving the discussion to a more appropriate location. (There is a fair amount of leeway here, since it is natural for discussions to drift, and moving a discussion can (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) I agree with Larry here. Especially since a majority of Lugnet posters don't actually consider where their post is going, they just hit "reply" and then go. (on a personal, non-official perspective:) I personally think we should be able to (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) No, I believe that if you review the ToS you will find that it is not at all about "posting what you want when you want". One of the great virtues of LUGNET, in at least this reader's view, is the compartmentalization it fosters. (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) The force-FUT power of admins was a really bad idea. LUGNET is about posting what you want where you want (within reason). If I wanted a place where a bunch of admins told me where I could post and what was "on-topic", I would post at (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Can we help?

(...) It would have been clearer to just say that instead of being clever. (...) So he has. (...) Sarcasm and mockery? Not really, no. (...) Your FUT cancelled (it's way off topic for .general) and FUT reset to admin.general (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general)

  Member Profile Changes

LUGNET Administrator/s, Under my user profile there is a box of information to the right. Inside that box is a graphical link depicting my country and my state. How does one change these? I have recently moved from Athens, GA to Arlington, VA and (...) (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Request for .vignette group

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote: snip (...) No worries, mate! I like Aquazone! snip snip (...) Who's Nathan? I'm Nathan? snip (...) Done and done. I don't think I'll be getting too many replies for opinions, but so be it. I will leave (...) (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Request for .vignette group

More of my personal opinion, not official position. (...) Them's fighting words! Nik is gonna get you! (...) I do not want to squelch anything with my personal comments! I just want to give some history/background. When fan created themes or (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact