 Administrative / General / 11947
Re: Can we help?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:47:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   Your FUT cancelled (it’s way off topic for .general) and FUT reset to admin.general

The force-FUT power of admins was a really bad idea.

LUGNET is about posting what you want where you want (within reason).

No, I believe that if you review the ToS you will find that it is not at all about “posting what you want when you want”. One of the great virtues of LUGNET, in at least this reader’s view, is the compartmentalization it fosters.

I agree with Larry here.

Especially since a majority of Lugnet posters don’t actually consider where their post is going, they just hit “reply” and then go.

(on a personal, non-official perspective:)
I personally think we should be able to forcefully change where a post is - if a post is obviously about the color issue, and if the poster refuses to post in the appropriate forum (lugnet.color), it is then a larger problem for a greater number of people.

The Transition Team’s first priority is to make Lugnet more useful to a greater number of people - a few random people who believe it is part of their free speech to ignore Lugnet’s compartmentalization policy and to post whereever they feel like it do not represent the majority of people here. Most people want posts to be in their proper newsgroup, so that they don’t clutter up popular newsgroups, and it is easy to find what you need.

Even the US Government doesn’t recognize the right to say whatever you want whereever you want. You can be sued for libel, which is lying about someone. There are ‘free speech zones’ - if you bring your soapbox into the mall, or even to the local court house, you can be asked to leave.

-Lenny