 Administrative / General / 11955
11954  |  11956
Subject:
Open source and admin.suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:45:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   I would have no problem with an admin moving a post with the posters’ consent (which would take care of anything mistakenly posted to the wrong newsgroup).

Technical reasons make that difficult to achieve. I wish there was a way to do it. Forcing the FUT (but not moving the original post) to default to something else, some other location, is the best we have.

Is Lugnet going to become open source? If so, I think the answer to this and many other technical issues lies there. If not, then it would be interesting to know the reasons.

On a personal note, I would most likely contribute in some manner under an open source arrangement. I think the quasi invitation only arrangement that we have now is precluding a number of qualified people from making a contribution. IMO.

And, everything that is submitted under open source doesn’t need to be put into production. A committee could be responsible for picking and choosing those submissions that are in line with the Lugnet vision (if you will).

   This specific case is especially objectionable because the force-FUT was used to hide the discussion in a dark corner of LUGNET, where it will go unread by everyone who uses the default skip-filter settings.

The default skip filter settings are the way they are after long discussion, because it has been determined that most people do NOT want to read about administrative issues. I am not sure that your characterisation of admin.general as a dark corner is valid, or useful.

I think admin.suggestions is in the wrong spot considering the default skip-filter settings block out everything in the .admin hierarchy. I think the discussion of things that may potentially affect how everyone uses Lugnet on an everyday basis should, by default, be visible to all. Please consider adding “+.suggestions” to the default skip-filter settings.

Mark