 Administrative / General / 11959
Re: Can we help?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:38:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   It is my view (and that of other admins) that discussion of whether it is appropriate to mock someone is OFF topic for .general. Hopelessly off topic. Do you agree? If not, why not?

You see it as a mock of someone. I see it as a mock of an outrageous claim.

   It is my view (and that of other admins) that discussion of whether it is appropriate to mock someone is ON topic for the administrative area. Do you agree? If not, why not?

Mocks of some people are acceptable, though perhaps not appropriate, outside the administrative area.

   I’ll go further and reiterate that I do not view mocking posters as appropriate, and it is a practice that ought not to be condoned. I would argue it runs afoul of the Anti Baiting rules which are in place, although they are not explicitly spelled out in the ToS.

And yet, Larry, you mocked me...

-snip-

   Richie’s post raises an administrative issue. One could argue that he knew darn well that .general was a poor choice of topic area and set it that way precisely to try to cause a row.

One could argure that, but one’d be wrong.

   But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and credit his error to an oversight rather than a genuine desire to be difficult.

Well, at least I knew that .dear-lego was wrong. Had you set the FUT in your post mocking me appropriately, it wouldn’t have been an issue.

Cheers

Richie Dulin