 Administrative / General / 11961
Re: Can we help?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:46:20 GMT

What follows are my personal views, not official statements of position but I'm
willing to wager that they are close enough as not to make much of a difference.

In lugnet.admin.general, Richie Dulin wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
It is my view (and that of other admins) that discussion of whether it is
appropriate to mock someone is OFF topic for .general. Hopelessly off topic.
Do you agree? If not, why not?

You see it as a mock of someone. I see it as a mock of an outrageous claim.

This post by you: http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=4950  was not, in my view,
"mocking someone", nor did I say it was. It was merely sarcastic, and sarcastic
in a way that did not really effectively advance the topic or add clarity to the
argument. Sarcasm is acceptable when used appropriately, although it often is
not an effective way to make a point.  This post was, in my view, borderline
acceptable although as a post making a point, it failed.

This post in reply by me: http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=4954 in my view,
called attention to that fact, and was also sarcastic, and in hindsight could
have made its point without sarcasm. It was not, in my view, mocking. Sarcasm is
acceptable when used appropriately, although it often is not an effective way to
make a point. This post was, in my view, borderline UNacceptable and I apologise
for it.

This post in reply by you: http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=4955 in my view
*is* mocking, and is the first post in the string to so mock. You were arguably
provoked by my excessive sarcasm, but mockery of others is not acceptable, even
if provoked.  You have a history of mocking others and it's not good behaviour.
In future please do not mock others. It also was pointed to a completely
inappropriate newsgroup although you have acknowledged that.