 Administrative / General / 11941
Re: Request for .vignette group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:03:55 GMT

More of my personal opinion, not official position.

In lugnet.admin.general, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Thomas Garrison wrote:

But that’s fine, because people who don’t read .aquazone (and do read LUGNET) are rational actors who act as they do because they *don’t care* about Aquazone. They have chosen which MOCs they consider worthy of their interest by their selections of newsgroups to read.

So, are you saying that only irrational actors read .aquazone ? :-)

Them’s fighting words! Nik is gonna get you!

   Adding a vignette newsgroup would only make sense if there were LUGNET readers who would be interested in any vignette---from Space to Scala---even if it relates to themes in which the reader has no other interest.

That’s exactly my point. I believe there is an interest in the topic - regardless of “theme”. As Larry indicated, time will tell.

I do not want to squelch anything with my personal comments! I just want to give some history/background. When fan created themes or building styles come about, sometimes they are fads and fade out, and sometimes they have staying power.

So the tendency has been to wait around a bit before creating a group to see if it’s more than a fad. IIRC, vignettes came up in the last month or so and while they’re really cool, they may or may not be a fad. Time will tell.

In 2-3 months if the activity is still continuing I would be wholeheartedly behind creating a group. Right now I would counsel waiting.

But the points made about whether the group ought to exist (assuming a mass of people interested in the technique or style) are, in my view, spot on.

   Such a newsgroup would only succeed if posters bothered with the extra work of remembering that there were a vignette newsgroup and of posting to it.

Doesn’t that apply to any newsgroup? I don’t think it’s that much extra work. There are many other newsgroups that people seem to have ‘forgotten’ (or at least haven’t posted to in awhile).

Yes.

   I guess the question is really what constitutes having a newsgroup under .build? The current .build newsgroups are, of course:

Ancient
Architecture
Contests
Mecha
Micro-scale
Military
Minifigs
Mosaics
Schleim
Sculpture
Storage

I think we can all agree that these “categories” are intended for ideas/MOCs/discussion that may (or may not) be of an established LEGO “theme”. Vignettes don’t really fit well into any of these categories, and are subsequently posted to various other groups, hence my request for a separate newsgroup.

Nathan’s analysis of the list is very cogent. Given the critical mass, in my view, it’s an obvious thing to create.

I am posting this to lugnet.general for others to have a chance to share their opinion. Granted, there are other, more important posts (new CEO, moving ops to China, etc.) but, I would like to hear what others think. So... if you enjoy viewing vignette MOCs and would like to see a specific newsgroup to showcase them, or otherwise, please reply.

Please XFUT back to admin.general or admin.nntp though, ok?