 Administrative / General / 1097
Re: Fair use of lugnet.cad.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:53:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Hey folks,

What is the limit to usage of lugnet.cad.dat?  Is it considered unfair to post
thirty models, or fifty, or a hundred?

Put up thirty, fifty, a hundred, a thousand, even ten thousand if they're all
worth looking at.

Or is that exactly what it's intended for?

Yup!

Here's what I'm thinking:  I currently have 88 of my own models in LDraw, with
an average size of 7 kb per model.  Roughly half of them are still waiting to
be seen by the outside world.  My current method of putting them up on a Web
page involves putting them into zip or text files, because certain free Web
providers (who shall remain unnamed (1) ) don't allow files ending in .DAT.
Pointing to, say, http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:66 would
certainly be more convenient on my part than actually paying for Web space.

My main concern is for Todd's disk space, but there's the chance that putting
all of my models into cad.dat would also be pretty rude.

88 models * 7 KB per model is two one-hundredths of one percent of the free
disk space on the server.  :)

I'll buy more hard drives if you need more space.

Are there any other issues for consideration?

Yes...  Keep point #7 of the LUGNET Terms of Use

   http://www.lugnet.com/terms/

in mind...  Because who knows, there may someday be a CD-ROM released of all
the newsgroup archives, or GIF renderings of all the models posted to the .dat
group.

--Todd

How does everyone feel about
this issue?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Because Geocities might not like the bad publicity.  :-P