 Administrative / General / 1098
Re: Digests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:59:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, moz1@ihug.co.nz (Moz (Chris Moseley)) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
If digests sound interesting to you, please take a moment to review
the interface changes at the News-by-Mail Settings page:

Is there any chance of digests by volume or count?

I was kinda wondering about that.  I suppose there's a half-decent chance of
it happening, but not for a while.  It would probably fall into the category
of an advanced configuration requiring official memberships, which we don't
have running yet.

I'm on a few digests
elsewhere that run on a "when the moderator thinks there's enough for
a digest" basis. Being able to say "when there are more than 1000 lines
or 20kB" would be cool. Even if the sizes were fixed.

I'd like to be able to do that too.  Plus an optional timeout maybe, where if
a week has passed with only a few small messages, it would still send you
what's there even if they didn't total 20KB/1000 lines...

My reasoning here is that it would suit me more to get LCad in lumps,
so I can sit down and read 20 messages at a time instead of (as now)
only looking at LugNet every week or so. And once I'm on the move and
reading mail via web gateway in cyber-cafes being able to get
big chunks in each message will save dollars. Or are US cyber-cafes
so cheap that won't matter?

...or if you dial in at some random point and there aren't any messages in
your inbox, but you really are dying for something to read, you should be able
to say "gimme whatcha got, even if it's not much."

I dunno how cheap cyber-cafes are here in the U.S., maybe $7 an hour I think
is one figure I saw once.  One thing's for sure, though, they're only getting
cheaper and better.

--Todd