 Administrative / General / 1096
1095  |  1097
Subject:
Fair use of lugnet.cad.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:54:30 GMT

Hey folks,

What is the limit to usage of lugnet.cad.dat?  Is it considered unfair to post
thirty models, or fifty, or a hundred?  Or is that exactly what it's intended
for?

Here's what I'm thinking:  I currently have 88 of my own models in LDraw, with
an average size of 7 kb per model.  Roughly half of them are still waiting to
be seen by the outside world.  My current method of putting them up on a Web
page involves putting them into zip or text files, because certain free Web
providers (who shall remain unnamed (1) ) don't allow files ending in .DAT.
Pointing to, say, http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:66 would
certainly be more convenient on my part than actually paying for Web space.

My main concern is for Todd's disk space, but there's the chance that putting
all of my models into cad.dat would also be pretty rude.

Are there any other issues for consideration?  How does everyone feel about
this issue?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Because Geocities might not like the bad publicity.  :-P

  "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
   -- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)