 Administrative / Curators / 259
Re: who is the castle curator???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:52:29 GMT

Just heads up.  This is a batched response to the 3 suggestions from:
Larry P, Matt Hein, and Bruce Hietbrink.

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.castle, Benjamin Medinets writes:
Here is the link:

http://www.lugnet.com/~817/castlepage

Looks nice.

When I looked at the ftx source (http://www.lugnet.com/~817/castlepage.ftx)
it looked like you did the hot castle posts by hand... Or at least the
output ftx did. Are you using the function to build it:
"NewsSpotlight(lugnet.castle)" ??

Other than that (which could be an anomaly of how FTX source gets
displayed), great start!

Thanks for the input, Lar.  I changed it to your suggestion.  I might need a
little hand with the graphics end....either that or have my fellow
castle-heads give me links to "smaller" pictures.

Bruce Wrote:

"Looking at .trains as a model, some graphics would be nice, either official
sets or minifigs, or a couple of cool MOCs.  If it were MOCs you would want
to rotate these relatively often so lots of people get featured.  You'd also
maybe want to highlight relatively recent cool MOCs, like for instance that
Tauros Military Outpost that was the topic of a recent thread, etc.

On the links, I would break it down into "group" pages (IOM, marketplace,
Castleworld, contests, etc) and individual pages (Ikros, Andrastavia, etc).
Individual pages might have to go on a seperate page of links, because that
could get very long very quickly.  You might want a button that allows
people to submit links.

Maybe a link over to the Harry Potter group would be in order, since HP is
castle related.

Another good link would be to the recent Castle galleries on Brickshelf:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/customview.cgi?include=Castle
and also to the castle galleries at 1000stein.de
http://www.1000steine.de/gallery/index-burg.htm

Bruce"

Thanks for the suggestions.  They too were helpful.  Yes.  I indeed intended
to add some nice pics to the page.  I don't know how "large" pics will
affect a side-bar.  I don't want a fat-sized side-bar, but like I said I
haven't had a chance to try out with the side-bar (yet).

I added your 3 suggested links to the links section.  Thanks.  All great
ideas.  I am not sure about the "button for submitted links".  I think a
simple, friendly suggestion on the newsgroup should be suffice, or the
person is free to e-mail me at: bmedinets@excite.com. It works most of the
time....there is an odd time, when the e-mail gets denied.

As far as links.  If there is a lot of demand for posting of links, your
suggestion would make perfect sense.  As it is now, I don't think it is
a problem (yet).

Matt Hein wrote:

"Nice! There is a great myriad of informative links, something
that every sidebar seems to need. The only addition I could
think of would be to add some extra graphics to spruce up the
bar. (wicked MOCS, castleworld logo, etc. You get the inherent
idea.)"

Thanks for your input again, Matt.  I agree. Like I wrote above.  I don't
know how the pictures will affect the layout of the side-bar.  If necessary,
you and other users might need to give me links to "smaller-sized" pictures
that don't take up much room, unlike the one's I have linked at the moment.

Anyways, in light of the above suggestions, I have made more changes
already, putting the castle-related sets, and the current ones offered by
Shop @ Home.  I tried to add a couple more picturs to ftx page, and
changed the Newsposts to keep it current automatically.

If you didn't click the link at the top of the newspost, here it is again:

http://www.lugnet.com/~817/castlepage

Thanks, and I hope you like how its progressing.