 Underground / 125
Re: The lone dissenter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.underground
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:46:19 GMT

In lugnet.underground, Aaron West writes:
In lugnet.underground, Dave Johann writes:
I care very much about the Rock Raiders. I'm in the process of building them a
mega-base and adding new members to the team. Anyone who knows me knows there
are two things I desire: M-tron and Rock Raiders (and mechs, but that's not a
Lego theme). If you don't like your Rock Raiders, I'll be happy to trade much • of
it away (especially the teal and chrome pieces).

What I'm waiting for is the follow-up to Rock Raiders. What good is any theme
without a 'next year's collection'? This was one of the failings of Wild West.
If you don't add to a theme, it will die. On that note: why arctic? Really, • what
is the point of arctic other than to revive a half thought out rendition of • Ice
Planet 2002. Gimme more Raiders!!!

Hey, does anybody out there even care about the rock raiders?

I love the inspiration behind the theme, though not the Chrome Crusher's
"baseplate".  I feel that the theme would have been better if they had used
technic parts more in all sets, but as it stands I like it a lot.  Most of the
parts actually do work well in my space and castle creations, but I really
cannot wait for a trasparent window canopy to attach to the large cockpit
section of Chrome Crusher!
True the theme has flaws, but so does every one of LEGO's current themes.
Bring back the 1985-1995 models and whoever at LEGO was responsible for them
and I'd wager that Rock Raiders would "rock", pardon my pun...
Best wishes,
Aaron (maniac@vol.com)

Leave it to me to re-open multiple threads from 2 months ago, but here I go
again...

Aaron,
I can respect your dislike for the 'Chrome Crusher's Baseplate', but I wanted to
point out that even evil pieces can serve a 'good' purpose. Obviously, the tough
part was taking this piece out of the context that TLG made it for: a chasis.
Check out the following pages for my variant:
http://www.jps.net/hardcore/lego/ufo/al902.html
http://www.jps.net/hardcore/lego/ufo/al90210.html
http://www.jps.net/hardcore/lego/ufo/al90213.html

As you can see, the baseplate is the entire basis of the walker. Without it, it
wouldn't be able to support it's own weight considering it's made mostly out of
plates (1x and 2x). Most folks who know RR are shocked when I turn it over
because they also consider it a useless piece. And, no....that's not my only
idea for that piece...

-Dave