 Trains / 7059
Re: PNLTC breaks guiness record!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.trains, David VinZant writes:
The Pacific Northwest Lego Train Club has just broken the Guiness
Record for the longest LEGO train Layout - 3232 feet, or 7752 pieces
of track crossed.

I'm very interested in the technical details of this project.
How many motors and how far apart were they spaced?

The train itself I don't think was all that long! 6-8 cars with the
"Guinness World Record" lettering on them, pulled by one of the Erie
Lackawanna like locomotives.

Ah <light turning on above head> So THAT's why there wasn't much in
the way of engines and cars compared to the amount of track.  I had
understood that the object was to make the longest TRAIN, which was
why each club sent a car, and such a large amount of track was needed.

In lugnet.trains, Dan Parker writes:
...PNLTC broke the official...Record for Longest LEGO Train Line of
545 meters (1788 ft) set in 1992.

By whom?  LEGO themselves?

Clubmembers operated a train over a 3343-foot continuous length of rail...

Over 1000 meters - Wow.   How many meters officially?

...which took 43 minutes to complete (vs. 18 minutes previously).

The speed of the train would have to be an official constant too, then?

A secondary record, the Longest Freight Train, was set with 3 locomotives
pulling 68 cars for 5 complete laps around an approximately 250 foot loop.

This 68 car three engine freight train was more what I was thinking of.
Is the record determined by the number of cars, (can they be any type?)
or by the lenth of the train?

8.  Longest monorail circuit:  277.5 feet.

How many monorail contributors?  I used to have close to that amount of
monorail, but had to sell over half in auctions to raise needed cash.  :-(

If folks are interested, I can paraphrase the original GBWR article which I
obtained from Denmark (internal company newsletter LEGO REVIEW).

I'm interested - Can the whole article be scaned and posted or something?

SRC