 Trains / 31055
Re: Converting an Emerald Night to run on 9 volt track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:16:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Naulls wrote:
Larry Simpson wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Peter Abrahamson wrote:

Why can't a 9v engine unit be attached to the Emerald Knight engine when being
built like the traditional ones?  Does it have to do with the drive system on
the pistons and wheels?

Well, I haven't opened mine yet, so this isn't for sure, but a 9V motor
really doesn't fit with the wheel configuration on the engine without
severe changes.  It could be put on the tender, although that has 8
wheels, so you'd have to change the wheel configuration there - contrast
for example with 7750, where the tender is built around the motor - or
make the tender perhaps longer for it to look sensible.

Basically, a 9V train motor doesn't fit this engine very well, in terms of both
the motor's size and look.

I've thought about using a 9V motor, too, and personally I'd use it as one of
the trucks on a passenger car, as close to the engine as possible so that it's
still pulling the majority of the train's weight -- assuming you add more cars.
The 9V motor can't really replace anything on the engine because it won't fit
where the pilot and trailing wheels are, and it obviously can't be used in place
of the drive wheels because then the pistons won't work. Using the motor as the
base of the tender is a possibility, but you'll have to modify the tender.