 Trains / 31008
Re: Converting an Emerald Knight to run on 9 volt track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:29:55 GMT

Peter Abrahamson wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:

Now this is my first stab at this conversion with the trains. I am sure that
many of the hardcore LEGO train builders have done something like this or
handled it far more elegantly than I did. I do plan on trying to make a single
boggy with steel wheels and electrical pick-ups, but this will require a bit of
machining of the single axle train wheel assembly.

FWIW, on the page it's "Night", and "bogey".  I will probably be
ordering my EN today, and am too considering options.  I have quite a
mix of 9V and RC stuff (in fact, about 1/2 the Lego trains back to 1980)
Probably I will suck it up and buy the complement of parts from Lego
shop, rather than trying to make it run 9V - (10% off, free shipping
ending today, and 5% cashback if you go via Discover card site *) -
alas, the combo sets are no longer available anywhere except on
bricklink for crazy prices.

As others I think have mentioned, putting a 9V motor in the EM
tender doesn't look ideal, although I can't immediately find
any references apart from the one in this thread.

On a related note, I presume the 9V trains will run just fine over
flex track, assuming you electrically bridge the gap otherwise -
I've done 9V crossovers before using a single RC track, you just
need to practice the direction change when it goes over.

* Also Target have EN for $80 (plus tax + shipping) and 10% off with
code NVO5WOQL (ending today) and also the Discover 5% cashback.