 Trains / 30687
Re: DB InterCityExpress (ICE 3) train set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 00:29:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Bond wrote:
   Hi all,

I’ve been lurking on these boards for years, but I thought it was high time I created an account. I would like to share with you my model of a Deutsche Bahn InterCityExpress (ICE 3 class 406) train set.

Full credit goes to James Mathis for the original design, which can be found in his excellent Brickshelf folder. Thanks James!

Eric,

I’ve been lurking, as well, for some year or more. Your design of the ICE is fantastic. I love the modifications you’ve made. Stellar set. The set runs so smoothly along those sweeping curves-- mezmerizing, indeed!

I might make one comment on the design. The 1x3 inverted slope just in front of the leading wheelset on the driving cabs: can that be raised by one plate? The notch-effect there is a bit striking compared to the smooth taper of the rest of the sleekly appointed nose.

I like the use of the curved windscreen. That said, I’ve since thought that the MARS Mission oval cockpit window and frame might be ideal for the ICE 3:

1) The white frame for oval windscreen in set Mars Mission set 7647 MX-41 Switch Fighter, http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7647-1: Part ID 47843: Windscreen 10 x 4 x 2 Curved with Bubble Cutout and Single Hinge Finger

2) The trans blue oval windscreen in Alpha Team Arctic set 4774 Scorpion Orb Launcher, http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/4774-1: Part ID 47844: Windscreen 9 x 3 x 1 2/3 Bubble Canopy

Is there a trans black/gray oval windscreen? That would be better than trans blue.

The cameo of TGV and Eurostar in one of the movies made me smile.

Great job- and thanks for the acknowledgement-- I appreciate it.

mahalo, James Mathis