 Trains / 30678
Re: DB InterCityExpress (ICE 3) train set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 03:40:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Bond wrote:
   Hi all,

I’ve been lurking on these boards for years, but I thought it was high time I created an account. I would like to share with you my model of a Deutsche Bahn InterCityExpress (ICE 3 class 406) train set.

Full credit goes to James Mathis for the original design, which can be found in his excellent Brickshelf folder. Thanks James!

Beginning with James’ design, I made several modifications such that the model could be built from parts that actually exist in brick form (ah the luxuries of LDraw...). I then added a few touches of my own, most notably working lights on the front and the rear and printed stickers.

Photos

Brickshelf Gallery

Videos

ICE 3 on long curve layout around the main floor

ICE 3 on long curve layout around the main floor 2

ICE 3 on long curve layout around the main floor 3

ICE 3 on long curve layout around the Christmas tree

In the videos, it is running on long curves made from straight track as described in Railbricks 1 by Holger Matthes. I love this method of creating a layout that is suitable for long trains to operate at high speed -- see particularly the last video where I used a modified power supply with the current increased to 3 A (helps with the electrical resistance from the long curves).

For those who are interested, I have posted an extended description and background in the NovaLUG forum.

Anyway, I’d welcome any feedback or ideas you may have -- thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Eric

WOW!

As a static model this train looks great. But seeing it in motion elevates it to a whole new level of awesomeness. It looks beautiful running at high speeds around those sweeping curves and is truly in its element. I would love to see the interior when it’s finished.

Cale