 Trains / 24606
24605  |  24607
Subject:
O-Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:54:51 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

All aboard the O-Train!

Built for ParLUGment’s Winterlude 2005 train layout, the O-Train is a light passenger train that runs a commuter route through Ottawa. According to the website it is a Bombardier Talent BR643 DMU. I’m sure someone who actually knows something about trains can provide more info if necessary. There are quite a few pictures of the real thing here.

The initial version used for the layout was built over 3 nights the week before the Winterlude show. Not being a train builder I was in a little unfamiliar territory and trust me, some of the initial concepts I did during the first night were truly atrocious. By the end of the week I was pretty happy with it - except the huge space (two whole studs!) between the center car and the engines. I tried to come up with some quick solutions but with time running out and other items to prepare I had to let it go. It was good enough for the show, and seemed to be well received. People actually recognized it at least.

Once the show ended, with more time on my hands, I took the opportunity to try and improve the design a bit. I’m pretty sure I spent more time getting rid of the spacing than building the entire train in the first place. In the end I went with an elastic band solution, as you can see in the pics. I’m sure the more experienced train builders would have gotten to this solution a lot quicker, if not having done it right from the start, but it was all new to me. Of course I didn’t find out until afterwards that it seems to be a relatively common technique. A little research beforehand would have probably saved me a lot of time. Oh well, I enjoyed the problem solving exercise.

Now everything looks nice and tight (I also tightened up the wheel set at the front of the engines), which I personally like a lot better. I’m sure the front of the engines could still be improved, as the real thing is tapered and more rounded, but I like it well enough as is, so unless something leaps out at me I think I’ll just leave it.

I can’t really see myself building more trains in the future but overall it was pretty enjoyable building experience and I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Enjoy,